::NAV BAR::

home about shop tutorials style recipes

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Banana Drop Cookies

Oh the possibilities!!


What to do, what to do with this plethora of bananas, two ripe with old age no less! Smoothies? Nay. Banana pudding? Nope. How about banana bread? You're getting closer! Banana drop cookies! They have been a staple to my existence thus far. I know they've been around longer than I; I'm positive I consumed one in the womb. Okay I'm lying, I can't remember that far back but seriously, my granny has always had plenty of them around for her grandchildren to consume at their {our} leisure. I'm guessing she's had a lot of overripe bananas in her day. 



They're squishy, cakey, light, and flakey. <--that was totally on accident and I love it. They're moist {a lot of people despise that word, do you?}. They're quite heavenly and not like most cookies. You'll like them best with a nice warm cup of joe. Would you like the recipe? Okay, here goes.

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup shortening       :::i used coconut oil! it's supposed to be healthier!!:::
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup mashed, ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)    :::i left those stinkers out this time:::
1/4 cup granulated sugar 
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In large bowl beat 1 1/4 cups sugar, shortening (or coconut oil) and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in eggs, then bananas. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Beat into sugar mixture. Stir in nuts (but I'm telling you they're better without them!). Chill 30 minutes (I know...you're like, say what?!!! JUST DO it. I don't want to know what happens if you don't.) Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over cookies. 
Bake 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned. (Mine were done at 8...ovens vary y'all)
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Funny story time...
My granny gave me this recipe over the phone once and I swear she told me to put in 4 teaspoons of baking soda. 4!!! As opposed to 1/4 teaspoon like it says above. Needless to say the cookies tasted like banana toothpaste and I had to throw every single one of them out. Funny thing is, I ate two trying to convince myself they were supposed to taste like that until I confirmed the evil that had happened. 

These cookies are delicious {especially when you put the right amount of baking soda}! I would love to know how you like them if you decide to make them!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I love hearing from you and making new friends! :)