::NAV BAR::

home about shop tutorials style recipes

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Saturdays are for Flea Markets

Last Saturday I spent the day with my mom and her two sisters. It is a very rare occasion when we all get to be together; maybe once a year, if that, so when it does happen it's oh so sweet. My aunt Wilma is the oldest of the sisters, I call her my eccentric aunt. She's awesome! She's sort of a health nut. You can usually find her at a health food/herbal store. My aunt Kaye, the next oldest sister is famous for her green thumb. On the rare occasion that we find ourselves at her house {we're all so busy} we like to look at all of her beautiful flowers. She's growing blackberries this year which means I'll be picking some for my blackberry lattice pie! Mmm. That brings me to my mama, the youngest of the siblings (8 in all, 5 brothers, 3 sisters), she's the sweet one. You can usually find her in the kitchen baking muffins or sweet bread. I aspire to be like all three of them.

Ever since I was teeny tiny those three women have taken me to flea markets almost every time we came together. I won't lie to you, I hated it to no end when I was little. I was fine when we first arrived, maybe even after the first hour, but what seemed like three to four hours later I swore that particular flea market would be the last I'd ever enter. I suppose it took a long while for me to like the idea of looking through people's old things. Now I love it and wish to do it constantly. I not only go to flea markets but also love to shop at goodwill. You never know what you'll find. Last time I was there I saw two gorgeous Fossil dresses in perfect condition with one problem, they weren't my size!

Last Saturday we decided to go to the Farmer's Market in Fayetteville, Arkansas {where I bought cucumbers, blueberries, and handmade earrings} and then make the drive to Prairie Grove for some 'flea marketing'. Before heading to Prairie Grove we made our way through some of the shops on the square. One of the shops we visited, The Mustache: Goods and Wares, is fairly new. I had never even heard of it.


{via}


& here's their website.


They have a wonderful selection of items including clothes {cute 40s & 50s style dresses with POCKETS!!!} fun and interesting kitchen wares, stuff for kids, and a bunch of lovely randomness. I love it. I bought a couple items for my bff who's getting married and a new water bottle for myself because my camelbak recently broke...yeah who knew?


Adorable isn't it?


Here are the earrings I bought:



I'm currently in a yellow phase, it's so bright and cheery I can't help myself.


After the farmers market, some shopping on the square, and lunch we went to Prairie Grove to find a flea market. We ended up going to Daisies and Olives.





I fell in love with this 1950's set of bobwhite dishes. They were a little pricey so I had to pass but aren't they cute?




Hey I learned something while we were there! Apparently this was a biscuit jar back in the day.


{that's what my mama told me}



And here is what I ended up coming home with: a pretty flower pot $1{bought at a goodwill type store on the way to the flea market}, watering can $?, small vintage cake stand $16, Fire King pie plate $3, vintage sewing supply box $5 {my mama bought for me}, and two birdies $4 {my aunt Wilma bought the one on the left for me}



I'm really excited to use this for my best friend's bridal shower Saturday!



I needed this for sure! Right now all of my threads are in a box and very unorganized.



I love birds and they seemed to be everywhere Saturday. I also noticed a lot of different dog book ends. What seems to be trending in the flea markets in your area?



When we had finished at the flea market we decided to seek out cobbler and coffee. Such a perfect way to end the day and build up lost energy. I don't know about you but flea marketing can leave you feeling exhausted.


Yes those are scratch off tickets on our table. And you know who won? That's right my mama, the sweet one. Not only did she win, she won twice. A total of 8 bucks. I think she's the only one that won because she could care less if she wins or not. :)



Do you like to go to flea markets? What are some of the treasures you have found? I'd love to know!


5 comments:

  1. Oh....I love your wonderful finds!! I'm going to go to our thift stores tomorrow after reading this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this place looks awesome! take me with you next time ;)

    thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malorie,
    Did you get to go thrifting?! What did you find?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm so blessed to find other crafty/thrifty/christian bloggers out there. Hopefully I'll link up a lot more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] two different flea market trips. You can read about the bird & some other great thrifted finds here. I love flea markets. Did you notice that even the dogs’ bed [...]

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I love hearing from you and making new friends! :)